The electronic media stand at the crossroads of freedom of information, the market, a performance mandate and plurality. It is up to the State to put in place framework conditions which enable this system to work properly for all the players involved and for consumers. The staff in the Media Division ensure compliance with the rules and contribute to defining the provisions for the public service in relation to electronic media.
The Media Division:
- is the Confederation's first point of contact for legal, financial or technical queries in relation to electronic media;
- checks licence applications in the electronic media sector submitted to the Department or the Federal Council;
- distributes the revenues from licence fees;
- ensures that statutory provisions in the electronic media sector are complied with;
- uses its skills and analyses to contribute to the debate on media policy in Switzerland.