The Division administers the telecommunications regulations and implements the postal legislation and ensures their ongoing development.
The Telecom Services and Post Division
- prepares business on behalf of the Department, the Federal Council and Parliament in relation to telecoms and the post, and prepares the regulatory decisions of the Federal Communications Commission (ComCom);
- handles international business within its specialist area;
- works to guarantee important basic internet functionality for Switzerland, such as the availability of ".ch" and ".swiss" domain names;
- exercises supervision of compliance with the Telecommunications Act;
- provides telecommunications service providers with services, such as the award of mobile radio licences or the assignment of blocks of telephone numbers;
- supervises the universal service for payment transactions in the postal sector and assesses applications for reduced delivery charges for newspapers.