The Frequency Assignment Section:
- is the contact centre for technical matters regarding frequency assignment, detailed frequency planning and for usage parameters subject to licensing;
- prepares the frequency-technical sections of radio and telecommunications licenses;
- prepares the technical foundations for licence fee calculations in the radiocommunications sector;
- is the information office for occupation and use of frequencies;
- is a contact bureau for radiocommunications interference and questions relating to the quality of the frequency spectrum;
- is responsible for international frequency coordination and notification;
- represents Swiss interests regarding regulation of the frequency usage conditions at the international level and handles negotiations.