In general

Who will collect the future device-independent household charge?

Serafe AG, subsidiary of Secon AG, will be the new collection agency. On 7 March 2017, the Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications (DETEC) awarded the mandate for collection of the future household charge to Serafe AG. The new charging system will provisionally begin on 1 January 2019.

What is Billag AG?

Billag AG is the agency empowered by the Confederation to collect fees for radio/television reception. Its mandate ends when the
new charging system starts.

I have received a decision from Billag AG which I dispute. What do I have to do?

You have the opportunity, within thirty days of receipt of the decision, to submit a complaint to OFCOM in writing. It must include an application and justification. It must be signed and submitted to OFCOM with any relevant supporting documentation.

Link to OFCOM address:

I have a mobile phone which can receive radio and television programmes. Do I have to register and pay fees?

If your mobile telephone can receive radio programme services, it is necessary to register for a radio licence. If you already hold a radio licence, this covers radio reception on your mobile telephone.
Television reception on mobile telephones is also subject to the obligation to pay fees, whether as digital television according to the DVB-T standard or with reception via streaming (EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA), e.g. "Swisscom TV air" or "Sunrise Mobile TV". Reception quality for both transmission techniques (DVB-T and streaming) is now comparable to that of traditional appliances.

I have had my cable connection sealed off / I have had the aerial removed / I have a satellite dish: do I have to pay reception fees?

As far as the obligation to pay the fees is concerned, it is irrelevant whether programmes are received via an aerial, satellite, internet or cable. It is the possibility of receiving programmes which is relevant. If equipment with a receiving component is modified in such a way that reception is technically impossible, there is no obligation to register or pay fees. If reception is possible by a simple action (such as plugging in the aerial, etc.), there is an obligation to register and pay the fees.

I am already paying cable network fees to the landlord. Do I have to pay reception fees?

Yes.The Cable network fees have nothing to do with the reception fees. These are fees which are payable to the cable network operator for the possibility of receiving programmes via the cable network (instead of via satellite, for example). Many landlords pass the costs for connection to the cable network on to their tenants.

What is DVB-T?

DVB-T is the abbreviation for Digital Video Broadcasting - Terrestrial. This refers to terrestrial broadcasting of digital television signals through the air.

A representative from Billag SA knocks on my door. Do I have to open the door and let them in?

You are free to open the door to the Billag SA representative and let them in. However, only OFCOM representatives have the right to enter your premise if they have a search warrant.

Specialist staff
Last modification 14.03.2018

Top of page